Q: I’m on the market for a new house. I’m considering things to look for when buying a home, but I’m wondering what really matters most. Any ideas on what things real estate pros search for when buying a home?
A: Buying a home is a big deal. This is most likely the largest amount of money that you’ll spend at once in your lifetime, other than possibly college tuition. However, we can give some insight on what things to look when buying a home.
Considering Home Value
Whether you plan to live in your home a few short years or for the rest of your life, a new home is an investment. In fact, US News reports that buying a home is one of the best investments for millennials since it’s a physical structure that won’t disappear like stocks. When it comes to spending smart on a home, one of the things to look for is home value.
There are several components that play into the value of a new home. For example, consider recent upgrades. Some upgrades can add value and even offer a significant return on investment when it’s time to sell again. A few of the most notable home upgrades for return on investment includes:
- Attic insulation (fiberglass) –107%
- Steel entry door replacement – 90%
- Roof replacement – 69%
- Vinyl window replacement – 74%
- Universal Design Bathroom – 68%
However, home value doesn’t have to equal huge improvements. HGTV states that even a new coat of paint can help improve home value, and let’s face it—who doesn’t want into a room with a perfect paint color that’s ready to go?
Exquisite Exterior Elements
Another thing that real estate pros look for when buying a home is exterior elements that are in top condition. This indicates that the home is well-maintained without a lot of upkeep required. A few exterior upgrades that a real estate professional may look for includes:
- Patio area for entertaining. According to Pro Builder, a comfortable outdoor space is one of the most sought-after components of a new home.
- Trendy exterior siding colors. While traditional white or beige is beautiful, there are many modern vinyl siding colors and upgrades that really make your home stand out. HGTV notes that popular color combinations include blue and crisp white, soft green and butter yellow, slate grey and deep turquoise, and olive green with oak details. Instead of investing in expensive wood elements such as a door, homeowners can choose a fiberglass door with applied wood stain. This gives the authentic look of wood without the high price tag.
- Vinyl cedar shakes. This is an architectural detail that can be applied to the entire exterior or used to highlight areas of your home. The best part about cedar shakes is that they give a true coastal vibe to your home.
- Gutters with protection. This isn’t a glamorous exterior element, but it’s important. Gutter protection keeps leaves out of the gutter system and helps prevent clogging and ice dams. Both of these situations can cause extensive damage to your roof while quickly draining your bank account.
Location, Location, Location
You might be able to replace your windows or upgrade your kitchen, but you can’t change a home’s location—unless you’re living in one of those tiny houses that have exploded in popularity as of late. For those of us living in a traditional home that’s forever anchored to the ground, choosing the right location is key. Think school systems, street traffic, proximity to downtown area, etc.
Whether you choose to live anywhere between Massachusetts and Maine, there is no denying that New England is a great place to call home. There is an abundance of beautiful scenery, history, and many great places to visit.
Make Your New House a Home with Coastal Windows & Exteriors
If you’ve found the home of your dreams but it needs upgrading to improve energy efficiency and value, Coastal Windows & Exteriors is here to help. We’re New England’s top source for premium exterior products, including Energy Star-certified windows, quality vinyl siding, and exceptional roofing systems that are built to last. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org