It’s that time of year again! Remodeling’s new 2020 Cost vs. Value Report is live, and we have all of the information you need to make smart decisions on energy-efficient home improvements this year. The Cost vs. Value report is released each year, showcasing the remodeling projects that give the best bang for your buck.
It compares a variety of projects for region-specific areas such as the New England and Boston markets. At Coastal Windows & Exteriors, we are experts in window, roofing, siding, and door replacements. Call us at 978-817-7072 or click here to sign up for a free estimate.
Read on to get updated with the newest data and how you can get the best return for your investment in 2020:
Vinyl Window Replacement Yields 77% ROI
Vinyl window replacement continues to serve as a high-ROI exterior upgrade, and one of the top 10 investments to make for your home this year.
What value do you get from new replacement windows?
- If you go to sell your home, you can see a return of 77% of your total cost spent on new window replacement.
- They improve curb appeal. Beautiful curb appeal can further increase home value by up to 12%.
- Makes your home more comfortable, reduces drafts and improves temperature control.
Our Tips to Getting Best ROI for Replacement Windows:
- Ensure the windows are engineered from top-quality vinyl. High-quality vinyl windows can last for life while lesser quality can fall short on performance in as little as 5 years. This will leave you replacing the windows sooner than necessary and drive down the return on investment. Replace them once, enjoy life as well as reduce the carbon footprint on the environment!
- The windows should have a coating of low-e— invisible glazing that allows the sun to naturally warm your home in the winter. In the summer, it keeps the sun from overheating your home.
- Argon or krypton gas inside the glass panes to insulate and prevent heat transfer.
Those living in the Boston, MA area can expect the highest ROI from a vinyl window replacement project. While it’s still a wise investment, the New England region ROI for vinyl windows comes in at 72.6%.
The next high-ROI exterior remodeling project on the list is vinyl siding replacement.
Vinyl Siding Replacement Recoups 76.6%
Coming in at a close second to replacement windows, vinyl siding replacement brings an ROI of 76.6% for New England homeowners. Wood siding did not make the Cost vs. Value list for 2020. Why not learn here…
What value do you get from new vinyl siding?
- An insulated vinyl siding energy savings study concluded that these products can reduce energy bills by roughly 11%.
- If you sell your home, you’ll receive roughly 76.6% back from the money you invested.
- Vinyl siding replacement is a smart alternative to wood siding. You never truly own a paint job as you need to paint every few years- especially if you live in Coastal New England! Vinyl eliminates the cost of painting which typically costs $6,000 to paint 1800 sq. feet. Then what do you think it will be in five years and what warranty do you have for it not to fade?
Right now, vinyl siding replacement is one of the top remodeling projects in the US.
Our Tips to Getting Best ROI for Vinyl Siding:
- Just like windows, quality virgin vinyl is essential to ROI with siding replacement. It’s a maintenance-free upgrade that does not require scraping and painting.
- Good quality vinyl resists all types of weather and won’t melt from heat or rot from exposure to moisture. You may spend up to $1,200 repairing a 170 sq. ft section of rotted wood siding.
- Insulated panels improve home performance and provide an insulating blanket to the outside walls. This prevents energy from escaping through the wood studs. This video from Vinyl Siding Institute explains further on energy loss through wood studs and uninsulated siding.
With advanced UV-resistant exterior fade-free paint formulation means you won’t need to worry about vinyl siding fading. Chromatix technology infrared-reflecting pigments reduce heat build-up which resists fade and protects against the elements day after day.
Asphalt Roof Replacement ROI is 65.8%
The next high ROI upgrade for your home is asphalt roof replacement. With a 65.8% ROI, it provides a slightly higher ROI in comparison to metal roofing.
What value will you receive from a new roof replacement?
- If you sell your home, you can recoup as much as 65.8% of the cost that you spent on your roof.
- A well-ventilated roof can eliminate mold growth inside the attic. This can save you between $2,000-$6,000 in mold removal costs.
- An energy-efficient roof can reduce your heating and cooling costs by 15% in peak seasons.
Our Tips to Getting Best ROI for Roof Replacement:
- Choose asphalt over metal as it provides a higher ROI. It’s also more cost-effective, and metal roofs can dent from hail, falling tree branches, or even walking on them.
- Your new roof should be equipped to handle high winds with GAF’s new Strike Zone Nailing Area which is the industry-first wind warranty with NO maximum wind limitation. In New England, we have our share of wind storms, including October 2019’s Nor’easter with 60 MPH winds. Coastal Windows & Exteriors installs roofs with zinc-coated nails at ¾” in length for maximized wind resistance. Be sure to check the labels on your new shingles and their compliance codes.
- Ventilation is critical for roof replacement, even in the winter. It prevents mold growth, ice dams, and keeps your home from overheating in the summertime. Click here to learn about the important components of a roof.
Entry Door Replacement Brings 60.5% ROI
Boston’s market is considerably higher for entry door replacement ROI (60.5%) in terms of the national average, which is at 53.3%. Wood entry doors did not make the list. Why not? Here is our comparison of wood vs vinyl doors- learn now!
What value will you receive from new entry door replacement?
- If you sell your home, you can receive up to 60.5% of the money back that you invested.
- Fiberglass entry doors are resistant to rot and do not require maintenance. Repairing a damaged or rotted entry door can cost you up to $600.
- A new entry door improves home security and provides peace of mind for the whole family—a priceless benefit!
Our Tips to Getting Best ROI for Door Replacement:
- Install fiberglass entry doors over steel or wood, as they do not rust or rot and can withstand coastal conditions.
- Your entry door should include a polyurethane foam core for maximized insulation.
- Invest in fiberglass entry doors with quality weatherstripping such as a Q-Lon. This seals out the elements and prevents energy loss.
Best and Worst Home Improvements in 2020
Even though the home remodeling market is worth $450 billion, this doesn’t mean that homeowners are always making wise decisions when it comes to ROI. These are the best and worst upgrades you can make for your home this year.
Best Home Improvement Upgrades (Mid-Range and Upscale):
- Garage Door Replacement: 99.5%
- Manufactured Stone Veneer: 87.8%
- Vinyl Window Replacement: 77%
- Vinyl Siding Replacement: 76.6%
- Minor Kitchen Remodel: 74.2%
- Asphalt Roof Replacement: 65.8%
- Entry Door Replacement: 60.5%
Worst Home Improvement Upgrades (Mid-Range and Upscale):
- Steel Door Replacement: 59.2%
- Master Suite Addition: 57.1%
- Major Kitchen Remodel Upscale: 54.1%
- Major Kitchen Remodel Midrange: 55.3%
- Bathroom Addition Upscale: 53.3%
- Bathroom Addition Midrange: 51.1%
Get the best ROI by choosing high-quality exterior products that are designed for performance and last for life. You can work on your home exterior projects no matter what the season. Contact us with questions about your exterior remodeling project by calling 978-304-0495.