It’s time to start stringing lights! Thank you to Lucy Dearborn, owner of Lucia Lighting, for sharing her lighting tips this holiday season…
Yes, Thanksgiving is over and it’s time to decorate the outside of your house for Christmas.
My brother, John, has been decorating his house well in competition with the Griswolds since he’s owned his own home. His only hesitation over the years in using more and more strands of lights was the spinning electric meter.
Fast forward, John now has a 10-year-old son who spends much of the year planning for decorating weekend!
As for my family, we’re only using LEDs now, but have not thrown away all of the cool blue LEDs that first came out. We’re using them on the green bushes and trees to keep them feeling green at night.
We’ve also incorporated the warm LEDs on the inside of the house, which creates a fantastic contrast between the inside and outside when all of the lights are on! The cool blue lights also work very well with our multicolored strings. They create sparkle and joy that can be seen from WAY down the street!
We also use the cool blue LEDs on our large birch trees ~ the reflection off of the white bark is magical!
So, get going, use your creative mind, have fun and be merry!!
Some safety tips:
1) Check strings for aged and splitting wires.
2) Don’t string too many strings together ~ have enough plugs to put 2-5 strings together depending on the wattage.
3) Tape down wires and look for trip hazards.
4) Put all lights on timers so you still conserve energy!
5) Make sure lights and extension cords are rated for outdoor use!
6) Remove lights at the end of the holiday season to avoid them becoming weathered.